Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Another Exercise in Humiliation

I have been toying with the idea of creating a book blog for a few years now but always talked myself out of it whenever I've been on the verge of actually starting.  My biggest concern was that I would run out of things to write about or generally lose interest in writing after the novelty wore off.  Another worry that I had was that my blog would be read by a devoted audience of two.  That got me thinking.  My big charm is my own imperfection, my innate ability to be awkward and embarrassing in most social situations.  So it is a large bonus to humiliate myself in front of a small group for once.

Another aspect of writing that I need to get used to, is that with this blog I am writing exclusively because I want to.  This is weird for me.  Up until now I've only written anything for professors or prospective employers and so you'll have to bear with me if my style isn't as casual as other bloggers.  Once I'm more used to doing this I should get more comfortable writing with my own voice rather than writing the way that I feel I should.  Also it's going to be interesting for me to write about books that I choose to write about.  I'm open to any suggestions and I'm not ashamed to say that most of my reading choices are based upon the advice of my sister, Jessica, the real book guru in the family.  She reads like a fiend and does not steer me wrong.  I also wanted to point out that most of the books that I will write about are going to be Canadian.  My books just skew in that direction and I am an unapologetic patriot when it comes to talented Canadian writers.

I feel proud of myself that I've been able to get through this first post because beginning this blog has been a huge challenge for the technophobic procrastinator in me.  For the next few weeks I'll be tooling around with different design settings and I'd appreciate any feedback that my two-person audience can give me.          

No comments:

Post a Comment